Have you considered selling your house due to your current situation?
Don’t Let Your Mobility Limitations Chase You Out of Your Home. With an aging
population, these types of renovations are becoming more popular for us to stay in our
homes longer and there are ways to have the government help with this transition.
The primary issues seniors and people with mobility limitations come across in most
Space –Most homes don’t have enough open space in the appropriate areas to allow easy
maneuvering for people with mobility limitations, particularly those in wheelchairs or
Access – Counters, cabinets, and storage areas are designed for easy access for people
who have no limitations on their reaching, bending or standing.
Safety – Storing heavy or large items, reaching across hot elements on the stove, retrieving
linens from a high shelf, taking a shower and other seemingly routine tasks can be very
dangerous for people with mobility limitations.
Here are a few ways we can help:
• Wider doorways
• Lower counters and table tops for ease of access, whether sitting or standing
• Lowered bathroom fixtures
• Brighter lighting for increased visibility
• Easy to grasp handles for all drawers and cabinet doors
• Handrails on both sides of all steps
• Reflective non-slip tape on all non-carpeted stairs
• Ease of movement, non-slip floors, and floor coverings
• Shower stall or bathtub seat, so you sit down while taking a shower
• Strategically placed handrails in your bathroom for greater ease of use
• Handheld shower devices to give you increased independence
• And many more…